Principal In Charge
Company: HMC Architects
Posted on: May 3, 2021
HMC Architects designs solutions that work, wow, and withstand.
We partner with healthcare, education, and civic clients to design
buildings that promote healing, inspire learning, and create
vibrant communities. Whether its a hospital, elementary school,
student union, or community center, our empowered teams are experts
when it comes to delivering successful projects and creating
HMC is in search of an experienced Principal in Charge with
Architectural Healthcare project experience. This position will be
located in our Ontario, California Headquarters office.
The Principal in Charge will be responsible for planning,
coordinating, and overseeing a major project or projects through
all phases of development. Where applicable, gives direction to
assigned staff. Leads the client relationship. Assigns appropriate
Will establish and maintain budgets, schedules, and monitor
adherence of terms of contract expectations. Has responsibility for
client contact and authority to direct, control, and monitor all
project activities. Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize.
Ability to oversee several groups performing work or supporting
work. Responsible for ongoing marketing and business development
and maintaining a consistent backlog of work. Responsible for
becoming a known presence in community and/or specific HMC markets
Education: Architectural degree from an accredited
Experience: A minimum of 12 years experience of production and
coordination of documents in all phases of architectural practice
and in management of projects desired. A minimum of 5 years of
experience working on recent Architectural Healthcare Projects with
knowledge of OSHPD.
Communication and Collaboration
- Establish productive working relationships, and deal
effectively and cooperatively with clients, team members,
consultants, and government agencies.
- Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and
accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions;
include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely
- Resolve issues related to team members and consultants.
- Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing
feedback of assigned team members are provided.
- Direct overall verbal and graphic communication of complex
project concepts to clients, public agencies, and project team
members, and be primary point of contact for all client
- Resolve "lost opportunity" issues, including staffing
adjustments, review of contractual obligations, and scope of
- Promote the values and culture of HMC.
- Collaborate with Business Operation, Design, Project
Management, Technical, and Business Development Area Leaders.
- Listen and communicate effectively and professionally in a wide
variety of settings inside and outside the firm.
Supervision and Delegation
- Give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and
vendors clearly, effectively, and professionally.
- Monitor employee performance and take appropriate action to
provide feedback both positive and negative performance.
- Supervise and manage multiple clients and project managers for
all phases of projects.
- Ability to supervise several groups.
- Ability to lead and inspire others with integrity, commitment,
and dedication to accomplish client, project, and firm
- Self-motivated and ability to work as part of a team or
independently, depending upon the situation.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Write RFPS and negotiate contracts and fees with clients and
- Ability to review and edit specifications.
- Understands all aspects of Project Management.
- Ensure that the documents meet the client standards and all HMC
- Write articles for professional publications of architecture
and construction industry.
- Write training material for staff development.
- Write and develop project marketing interview materials.
Participate and lead in project marketing interview.
- Primary proponent for project pursuit.
- Ability to market project capability through public
presentations and professional publications.
- Attend conferences, events, and other networking
- Develop new client contacts.
- Develop a network of current and past clients and industry
- Develop relationships with agency leaders in their
- Represent HMC in the industry and in the community.
- Maintain an appropriate backlog of work.
- Acquire work that is in line with HMC firm and office/studio
- Strong client and customer orientation.
- Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and
- Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for
self-management and use time efficiently.
- Review and assist staff in setting budgets, goals, and
preparing work plans that clearly define their expectations, and
take appropriate action when they are met and when they are not
- Encourage professional and beneficial relationships to HMC with
- Monitor staffing plans to projected workloads to meet expected
project timelines and project budgets.
- Adjust staffing when needed.
- Resolve collection of aged accounts and any financial issues
- Responsible for ensuring that all HMC procedures, standards,
and protocols are followed.
- Lead the project team for Go/No Go decisions of project
- Serve as an example of HMC leadership that strives to achieve
the firms strategic and business goals.
- Provide support and leadership to other offices, studios, and
- Ensure that project managers support design and follow design
intent and quality on all projects.
- Ensure that project design supports firm's design goals.
- Ensure that documents are reviewed for quality, coordination,
and compliance with the requirements of deliverables and client
standards in all phases.
- Review cost estimates and conduct value analysis.
- Resolve plan check and approval issues with the agencies and
- Ensure that materials and systems meet HMC and client standards
and are within budget.
- Oversee and resolve issues during construction phase of all
work under their supervision.
Keywords: HMC Architects, Ontario , Principal In Charge, Other , Ontario, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!